About Us

Shop Floor

Our Shop Floor

 

The earliest records of the Hughes’s family trading takes us back to the late 1700′s when a family member is recorded as operating in the Holywell and Flint area’s as a timber merchant and carrier (possibly a little like a local TNT !). This line of business seems to have followed on to also include farming at The Block Farm, Coed Y Cra, Flint.

The name of our business to day follows on from Peter Hughes who was born at The Block. Peter Hughes set up business in Church Street, Flint c 1875 as a Saddler and for many years the family were known locally as ‘Hughes the Saddlers’ !  The business was taken over in 1918 by Peter’s son John Robert who after retuning from the First World War started selling manufactured shoes. In the 1950′s John was joined by his two sons Bob & Alwyn. The business was expanded and in 1960 the Holywell shop was opened and a subsequent shop was opened in Connahs Quay in 1965. The business was run in this form untill the 1990′s until the subsequent retirement of Bob & Alwyn.

Shop Floor

Our Shop Floor

The business is now run by Stephen and our shoe retailing is carried out at the Holywell site. During the 1990′s the business diversified to include property and agricultural let’s. To help with our green credentials well over 1500 native broad leaf trees  and over 3000 hedging plants have been planted on our property over the last few years.

Please view Our Stock page for details of our current range of footwear. PETER HUGHES FOOTWEAR – HOLYWELL. Where quality costs less !!

 

autumn 16 005